Leicester’s Sci Fi Festival is back this weekend! Two fantastic movies, amazing activities and a great quiz to celebrate all things sci-fi is being held by Starbase Leicester over at Phoenix.
The event is all about celebrating sci-fi and getting must see movies back on the big screen. Starbase will also be celebrating their 11th birthday.
Collect your keyring at the Phoenix from 10:30am and then head off to the bonus activities and offers all around the city aka your very own geek trail, followed by the big raffle and the Sci-Fi Fest quiz. Round the day off with two fantastic movies on the big screen at Phoenix; Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow.
For tickets holders you can visit a number of venues through the day and redeem a stamp for each venue. The more stamps you collect the more entries into the prize draw you’ll receive.
So where should you be heading? See a list of activities and offers taking place below.
- A third off selected food and our very own event mocktail and cocktail at the happy hour price at Firebug, an awesome venue in the middle of town our official food and snack venue for the day
- 10% off at Forbidden Planet all day if you show your Sci-Fi Fest key ring. These guys are a big supporter of the club and a great place to find geek stuff!
- Freebies and demonstrations at the Warhammer store and a chance to paint/build your own model (collect with your keyring at the Phoenix from 10:30am)
- Both Game Stores are offering 10% off pre owned games and Star Wars accessories!
- A special display of all things Sci-Fi at Central Library and Starting to Write Science Fiction – a panel discussion with Jay Eales, Selina Lock and James Worrad 2:30pm-3:30pm. This free event will cover writing fan fiction, short stories, novels, comics and short films.
- Free Dice and a chance to check out some awesome games at Gifts For Geeks/TableTop Tyrants Bedford St S, Leicester LE1 3JR
And back at the Phoenix check out this little lot:
- 2:30pm Where’s my robot butler? “A brief overview of where we are in robotics and how they really might be just around the corner this time, honest” with Q&A by Dr David Croft, Lecturer in Computer Science at Coventry University and SBL club member
- 4:00pm DarkWave Edge of the Storm screening and Q&A with the director Darren Scales made right here in the midlands! www.darkwavepictures.co.uk 7/10 from StarBurst
- 5:00pm Prize Raffle – collect stamps (freebies and discounts too) from the geek places in Leicester and you’ll be in with a chance to win some fantastic prizes!
- 5:30pm Epic Quiz – free (movie ticket holders take priority) with a treasure of geek vouchers up for grabs! Team size five.
- 7:15pm Film; Pacific Rim
- 9:40pm Film; Edge of Tomorrow
Tickets for the movie screenings can be bought direct from www.phoenix.org.uk
For all of the latest event info check our the Starbase Leicester Facebook Event