Put the banana bread down and let’s start thinking about some summertime desserts.
The Belmont has shared the recipe for their Rhubarb & Vanilla Fool and it’s the perfect BBQ dessert.
- 500g rhubarb
- 40ml orange juice
- 100g caster sugar
- 238ml cold whipping cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Baby mint (for garnish)
- Trim the ends from the rhubarb and cut into 15cm lengths. Soak in a large bowl full of cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry, then cut crossways into 1cm slices.
- In a saucepan, stir together the orange juice and sugar. Bring to the boil and add the rhubarb. Return to the boil, then set the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring only 2 or 3 times, until the rhubarb is tender (this should take 7 to 10 minutes – stirring too much will cause the rhubarb to break down).
- Transfer the rhubarb mixture to a glass or ceramic bowl and cover with cling film. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla pod by cutting in half and scraping the seeds out.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla seeds in a large bowl using a whisk until it can stand in a soft peak.
- To assemble the fools, spoon 4 tablespoons of the rhubarb mixture into 4 small glasses. Cover with the same amount of whipped cream. Repeat layers until you reach the top of the glasses.
- Garnish with baby mint, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (and up to 6 hours) before serving.