As Leicester City prepare for a new season ahead in the Premier League, we look at those signs that signal you’re a mad Foxes fan!
1. You’ve met Steve Walsh.
In fact, if you’ve not met Steve “Leicester City” Walsh you should probably just stop reading this article now and come back when you have.
2. You owned a Fox Leisure tracksuit.
Yes, all your mates were wearing Adidas and Nike but you wore your Fox Leisure with pride. It’s probably still in your wardrobe now to be whipped out as “retro” in years to come.
3. You truly believe that it’s one of life’s greatest tragedies that Emile Heskey and Stan Collymore only played one match together.
Yes, Stan Collymore bagged a hat trick on his Filbert Street debut against Sunderland in 2000 just days before Emile Heskey got sold to Liverpool. A month later Stan found himself out for the season with a broken leg. Just what could have happened if that partnership had continued we can only imagine… but it would have been amazing!
4. You get VERY defensive about the importance of the League Cup.
“Oh it’s a crap cup. Nobody cares about it.” Yeh, well, it matters when you’re in the final, mate. Believe me.
5. You will NEVER forgive Erland Johnsen. Or Mike Reed.
Erland Johnsen and Mike Reed starring in the worst refereeing decision known to man. Even Danny Baker said so. After battling through the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1997, with the match heading for pentalties, Erland Johnsen FELL OVER in the penalty area and Mike Reed awarded Chelsea a late penalty, which won them the game. ROBBED. Obviously had this tragedy not occurred we would have won the FA Cup that year. No doubt.
6. You’ve thought about applying for the vacant manager’s position. Or maybe you even have.
With all of the managerial changes we’ve been through, why not? After all, we could all do a better job than Peter Taylor.
7. If you’re out and the bar sells Singha beer you will buy it.
If you can combine this with a eating a bag of Cheese and Onion Walkers you feel like the King of Leicester.
8. When you see people playing football in the park you get the urge to shout “You’re shit aaaggggghhhhh!” at them.
Tip… if they’re young try to stop yourself doing it. Parents get funny about it.
9. You still have your Leicester Mercury printed “Don’t Go Martin” poster at home.
In October 1998 it was rumoured that Martin O’Neill was being targeted to take the manager’s seat at Leeds United. The Leicester Mercury printed thousands of “Don’t Go Martin” posters for the crowd to hold up in the match against Tottenham and Filbert Street saw scenes of managerial support like never before. We won. He didn’t leave!
10. If you got the chance you’d secretly love to have a go at being Filbert Fox.
Let’s be honest, it’s the closest you’re going to get to being part of the team and you’d snap it up!